Distribution System Operator - Trainee
Company: FirstEnergy Corp
Posted on: September 23, 2022
FirstEnergy at a Glance We are a forward-thinking electric
utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making
customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our
communities stronger. - FirstEnergy -(NYSE: FE) is dedicated to
integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence.
Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the
nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000
miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and
Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total
capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts. About the Opportunity This
is for 3 (three) -open positions with Penelec, a subsidiary of
FirstEnergy Corp. [PN] Distribution System Operator Trainee
starting rate of $32.49 per hour. This position, located in Erie,
PA, reports under the general supervision of the Regional
Distribution Control Center staff. Responsibilities include:
- Demonstrating sound internal and/or external customer
- Monitoring the day-to-day operations of the regional
- Outage restoration during emergency or abnormal conditions with
timely and accurate documentation associated with the distribution
- Demonstrating a solid commitment to all aspects of safety,
including adherence to the Accident Prevention Handbook (APH) and
Manual of Operations.
- Operating the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
system, Energy Management System(EMS), Automated Mapping/Facilities
Management (GIS) computer system, PowerOn Outage ManagementSystem
(OMS), Energy Delivery Outage Application (EDOA) and Regional
Dispatch Operations (RDO)notifications as well as radio and
- Analyzing and acting promptly in cases of system disturbance so
that the system can be restored to a normal configuration.
- Recommending operational improvements and communicating system
events to appropriate personnel.
- Providing technical analysis, monitoring systems, scheduling
and authorizing distribution equipment outages and load
- Developing detailed scenarios to identify operating problems
caused by contingency outages.
- Assigning and directing switching activities and work
assignments to field personnel.
- Monitoring system and weather conditions.
- Coordinating staffing requirements by calling additional
resources to handle emergencies.
- Completing training and development to progress to the Regional
Distribution System Operator level.
- Possessing basic understanding of bargaining unit agreements
with field labor. Qualifications:
- Associate's degree or greater in Electrical
Engineering/Electrical Engineering Technology, or related
certification from an ABET-accredited institution is required.
- In lieu of above stated educational requirements, equivalent
working experience with demonstrated understanding to operate the
distribution system will be considered: minimum of 2-4 years of
related work experience is required.
- Pass the EEI System Operator/Power Dispatching Test (SOPD
- Capable of effective performance in problem solving,
multi-tasking and teamwork.
- Demonstrate effective performance in prioritizing work for
efficient and safe operations.
- Possess knowledge of, or ability to learn Transmission and
Distribution (T&D) operation, maintenance and construction
practices, procedures, work methods, materials, equipment and tools
to operate the distribution system.
- Possess reading and comprehension skills to effectively
interpret switching requests, engineering drawings,schematics,
equipment instruction manuals, standards and procedures used to
develop distribution switching orders.
- Possess skills in the development, collection, organization and
analysis of information from a variety of sources to develop
switching orders and recommendations.
- Effective oral and written communication skills to effectively
communicate with customers, supervisors,peers, employees, and
contractors involved with the construction, operation and
maintenance of the T&D facilities.
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to learn, produce results
and develop relationships.
- Have sufficient maturity to exercise independent judgment on
moderately complex projects and assignments.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills to make quick
assessments and deliver well-thought decisions, when situations
occur that require independent judgment.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, specific mainframe and PC
- Able to remain professional and maintain a calm demeanor in
high stress, high volume work environment EEI Testing We administer
selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have
been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade
association of investor-owned electric utility companies. - We
strongly encourage potential employees to review all information,
including the sample test brochures, and to use the available
practice tests before taking the actual tests. - Click this link to
access the practice tests. You will be prompted for a name and
password. Use firstenergy for both. Practice tests provide sample
questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's
important to take the practice test as you would the actual one,
with similar intensity and concentration. - You must have Adobe
Acrobat Reader on your computer. - Note: EEI website does not allow
access to actual tests. Testing is held at various locations
throughout our service territory based on where the job is located.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity At FirstEnergy,
employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to
meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are
committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our
total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus
incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k)
savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of
medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance
programs, as well as skills development training with tuition
reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com
to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs.
FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies
without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer
H-1B visas at this time. Safety Safety is a core value for
FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We
ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to
perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for
themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our
goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an
accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain
public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to
achieving world-class safety standards. Position Classification
Non-Exempt-Hourly - FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Keywords: FirstEnergy Corp, Erie , Distribution System Operator - Trainee, Professions , Erie, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!