Senior Power Electronics Hardware Engineer
Company: General Electric
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Job Description Summary
GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work
environment, challenging career opportunities, professional
training and competitive compensation.
GE Power Portfolio Power Conversion Division provides electrical
power conversion systems for Naval, industry, marine, and Oil & Gas
applications. Typical scope includes MV & LV power converters,
motors, transformers, E-house, switchgear, and control as well as
the associated power systems engineering.
The Power Electronics Hardware Engineer role is considered a
senior role within the business and expected to be an individual
with deep technical capability within power electronic power
converters with a strong emphasis on applications. The Senior Power
Electronics Engineer will strengthen engineering and drive team by
providing technical expertise and customer facing project
leadership. Ideally, the candidate will have experience in the
development of market leading power electronics solutions with
broad scope and high impact. Developing specifications of motor
drives and implementing them accordingly will also be integral part
to this role. This includes involvement in developments on the
forefront of cutting-edge technologies like converter design with
wide bandgap (SiC) semiconductor devices in real world power
electronics products and engineering solutions for the next
generation power converter architectures. Mentoring and the
training of junior engineers will also be considered a vital
function for this role.
- Serve as the customer facing technical lead or principle
investigator on technology projects including but not limited to
power conversion, power systems analysis, power systems control and
energy storage system integration.
- Interface with customers to ensure requirements and
expectations are understood and achievable.
- Specify, Implement, Test and Report new concepts on topics
related to power electronics (control, sizing, modelling, real time
modelling, calculation tools)
- Review Customer Basic requirements for large industry, marine,
renewable and naval power converters.
- Prepare detailed technical specifications for large industry,
marine and naval power systems that capture customer
- Create offline and real time models of the overall electrical
power electronics plant for use by power systems engineers for
performing the technical requirements such as power quality
- Develop design tools for the power electrical power flow,
harmonics, thermal aspect studies
- Realize typical design reference study for each type of
application (high speed O&G applications, low speed Marine
application, Metal applications with MV VSI, LCI)
- Write technical specifications for Transformers, Filters,
Converters to meet standards, regulations and customer
- Deliver the Basic Design document with all contractual
- Assist with design reviews for power converters and implements
the outcome decisions.
- Manage design reviews for power converters and their
applications in a system.
- Interface with Sourcing and Purchasing to ensure suppliers
products are meeting specifications.
- Challenge the technical offer by proposing hardware (HW)
optimization and cost saving engineered solution
- Interface with the Manufacturing and Test departments to ensure
the power converters and balance of plant (BoP) produced are fit
- Elaborate the Test Plan in accordance with the Basic
Requirements and the electrical power plant
- Work with a multi-disciplinary engineering development team
that includes application engineering, power conversion design,
controls engineering, mechanical design, control hardware design,
and product test / validation
- Support Manufacturing Final Acceptance Tests in Control and
- Ensure that all designs and practices implement and foster a
culture of safety, quality and value
- Collaborate with other GE PC businesses to understand power
converter technologies produced at those factories that can be used
to satisfy customers in North America.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Power Electronics
from an accredited university
- 10+ years' experience in power electronics/power conversion
- Familiar with Matlab/Simulink, PLECS, Saber and other modeling
- Able to perform thermal analysis for power electronics
components, subsystems and converter systems
- Excellent hands on debug skills, ability to get things to
- Willingness to travel up to 30%.
- Must be a US Person able to obtain secret clearance.
- Excellent communication skills, articulate in simplifying
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time
- Strong technical aptitude, including applicable engineering
tools and systems.
- Deep domain knowledge of semiconductor devices and their
application to large power converters, including cooling, losses,
switching characteristics and implications
- Able to design and qualify gate drivers for simple/series
components, estimate/measure the losses and integrate those data
into top level design process.
- Familiar with PCB design including using Altium and other PCB
- Knowledgeable in magnetics in transformers, motors and
- Very strong analytical capability.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development,
challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability,
protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in
the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is
conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
Keywords: General Electric, Erie , Senior Power Electronics Hardware Engineer, Other , Cranberry, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!