Respiratory Therapist, CRT
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Under the general direction of a physician and by prescription,
provides respiratory therapy services and life support to patients
with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system.
Defined responsibilities are performed in all patient populations
and in all patient service areas.
- Evaluates the appropriateness of medical orders. Interprets
clinical data to optimize patient clinical objectives.
- Sets up and operates devices, such as mechanical ventilators,
therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control
systems, and aerosol generators. Operates equipment to ensure
specified parameters of treatment, such as volume, gas
concentration, humidity, and temperature, and to administer
medicinal gases and aerosol drugs to patients. Observes equipment
function and adjusts equipment to obtain optimum results to
therapy. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure
equipment functions safely and efficiently.
- Assists to transport mechanically ventilated patients. Responds
to all code situations.
- Maintains patient's chart that contains pertinent
identification and therapy information. *Orders repairs when
needed. * Demonstrates respiratory care procedures to trainees and
other health care personnel. * Supervises students during
- Reads prescription, measures arterial blood gases, and reviews
patient information to assess patient condition and determine
requirements for treatment, such as type and duration of therapy,
and medication dosages. Determines most suitable method of
administering inhalants, precautions to be observed, and
modifications which may be needed that will be compatible with
- Monitors patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as
vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes.
Performs bronchopulmonary drainage and assists patient in
performing breathing exercises. Performs pulmonary function tests
to be used by physician in diagnosis of case. Consults with
physician in the event of adverse reactions.
- Graduate of a Co ARC (Committee on Accreditation for
Respiratory Care) approved Respiratory program required OR students
who have received a temporary license are permitted to begin
employment with approval from the Human Resources department along
with their official transcripts.
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation required
Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRTT) from the National Board for
Respiratory Care (NBRC) required prior to expiration of temporary
- Respiratory therapists who receive their CRT credential from
the NBRC after July 1, 2002 are required to maintain certification
under the NBRC requirements
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician (CRTT)
- Osteopathic Respiratory Care OR Respiratory Care Practitioners
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: UPMC, Erie , Respiratory Therapist, CRT, Other , Seneca, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!