Director of Nursing
Company: Lutheran Social Services.
Posted on: May 17, 2022
Job DescriptionThe Lutheran Home and Rehabilitation Center,
located in Jamestown, NY, is seeking an experienced Director of
Nursing to join our team of dedicated healthcare professionals. The
successful candidate will be responsible for planning, organizing,
developing and directing the overall operation of the Nursing
Department in accordance with current Federal, State and local
regulations that govern our skilled nursing facility while ensuring
the highest degree of quality of care is maintained at all
times.Qualifications and Skills: Minimum of a Nursing Degree from
an accredited program; BSN preferred. Masters degree with
progressively increasing experience is the ultimate goal. Must have
a minimum of five (5) years experience as a supervisor in a
hospital, long term care facility or other related health care
facility. Must possess a current, unencumbered, active license to
practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of New York. Basic
working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office.
- Develop maintain and periodical update written policies and
procedures that govern the daily functions of the Nursing
- Develop maintain and update the nursing Services procedures
Manual and Nursing service objectives and philosophies.
- Makes written and oral reports and recommendations to the
Administrator as required concerning the operation of the Nursing
- Develops maintains and periodically updates written job
descriptions for each level of nursing personnel in conjunction
- Develops methods for coordination of nursing services with
other resident services to ensure the continuity of the resident's
- Participates in facility inspections made by authorized
- Assists the Quality Assurance Committee in developing,
improving, implementing and communicating appropriate plans of
action to correct identified deficiencies.
- Performs administrative duties such as completing medical
forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting as necessary.
- Evaluates and implements recommendations based on resident care
functions from established committees as they pertain to
- Determines staffing needs of the Nursing Department necessary
to meet the total needs of the residents.
- Assists the Administrator and VP of HRD in recruitment and
selection of Nursing personnel.
- Delegates to nursing services administrative nurses/charge
nurses/ nursing supervisors and coordinates the administrative
authority, responsibility and accountability necessary to perform
their assigned duties.
- Administers Performance Reviews effectively and in a timely
- Administers Disciplinary Processes effectively and in a timely
- Makes daily rounds of the nursing department to ensure that all
nursing personnel are performing their work assignments in
accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- Ensures that direct nursing care be provided by a licensed
nurse, C.N.A. or aide qualified to perform the procedures.
- Oversees the completion of applicable inservice training,
personal protective practices/ supplies, safety practices and
departmental policies and procedures through designated nursing
- Plans, leads, organize and controls needed resources for Nurse
- Provides direct nursing care as necessary.
- Encourages nursing supervisory staff to attend and participate
in outside training programs and schedules times as
- Assists Nurse Educator in the development of training programs
for the nursing staff. Ensures that these program meet the
continuing education requirements which allow licensed personnel to
keep licenses on an active status.
- Functions as Program Coordinator for NATP..
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs
designed to keep updates of changes in the profession as well as
maintaining own license.
- Ensures that all nursing services personnel participate in and
conduct all fire safety and disaster preparedness drills in a safe
and professional manner.
- Recommends to the Administrator the equipment and supply needs
of the department.
- Develops and implements procedures for the safe operation of
all nursing services equipment.
- Develops and maintains good rapport with all services involved
with the care plan team to ensure that a team effort is achieved on
developing comprehensive plans.
- Prepares and plans the nursing departments budget and submits
to Administrator for approval and recommendations.
- Keeps abreast of economic/ conditions and recommends to the
Administrator adjustments that provide quality care.
- Maintains confidentiality of all resident care
- Monitors nursing care to ensure that all resident are treated
fairly and with kindness dignity and respect.
- Operates computer and various computer applications as
- Is able to operate independently and make quick decisions
- Deals tactfully with employees, residents family members,
visitors, government agencies and the general public.
- Maintains knowledge of nursing medical practices, procedures as
well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to long-term
- Demonstrates leadership and supervisory ability and willingness
to work harmoniously with and supervise other.
- Must be a team player and adhere to sound and ethical
- Is certified in and uses behavioral and peer based interviewing
techniques when hiring
- Ensures staff are up to date on required trainings
- Adheres to the Lutheran QAPI (Quality Assurance Performance
Improvement) Plan by participating in efforts to improve the way we
care for and engage with our residents and contributes to the
solution for improving outcomes.
- Safety – Follows required safety procedures
- Inservices – Attends all required inservice training
- Other duties as assignedDue to NY State mandates, the COVID 19
Vaccination is a condition of employment at Lutheran.Lutheran is an
equal opportunity employer
Keywords: Lutheran Social Services., Erie , Director of Nursing, Executive , Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!